Admin

North West Intermediate Rugby Union Leagues - Discussion

Slightly cold hearted - time for Acton to go?

Anything to do with the leagues

Slightly cold hearted - time for Acton to go?

Postby 373 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 am

It seems that Acton are having an absolutely torrid time caused by some absolutely ridiculous decisions made by their committee over the years, including perhaps the most ill thought foray into the RFU Leagues.

But, it seems that it's other teams that are now propping up Acton, having spoken to a number of people there's a feeling that the 'Poor Me' act that they are putting on is wearing very thin indeed with the weekly begging for players.

Surely, if the situation doesn't improve for them it's time for them to fold? Most of the lads have already left and gone back to C&N or moved to Sandbach or Congleton.

Re: Slightly cold hearted - time for Acton to go?

Postby Black Cat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Why would anyone wish for another rugby club to go?

From what I've heard Acton offers a unique and great experience to grass roots rugby that is unmatched by most bigger and older clubs in the area.
The club is surely going a tough time with losing there clubhouse. Which I must say when visited provided a great atmosphere by Jed Thurlow and the gang.
Clubs and other players helping proves thet must have good rugby relationships.
I know three or four of the players that now play for the surrounding club at a higher level, what wouldn't have got in to rugby i it wasn't for Acton. They offer a chance for all abilities of players to get in or return to rugby, what have not necessarily had experience playing at higher or junior level.
Every surrounding club has already and probably will continue to benifit from this club surviving.
The sport should be united on helping each other.
For a tiny club I know Acton have a massive rugby heart and a place in many people's own
Black Cat

Postby JayTee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 pm

373 and Black Cat, totally opposite ends of the same stick. 373 seems to know a lot about Acton and the decisions made by the club Committee, I wonder if he, she or they would expand and add weight to the positon they seem to be taking, or creep out from their hiding place so we can understand the who, why and where. As an example, what ‘absolutely ridiculous decisions over the years’ are they referring to? As for the ill thought foray comment, what evidence is there that it was ill thought? I’m intrigued. 373 must have something to base this view on, otherwise one could perceive it’s the mutterings of a fool who, short on evidence, makes stuff up, somewhat like school children or politicians. The ‘poor me’ act, is that a label we should assign to the clubs that Acton has helped out on numerous occasions over the years? Thankfully the rugby community in my experience, has less people like 373 but as a wise man once said, let the haters, hate. Big thanks to Black Cat, I really have no idea who you are but you seem to get what Acton are about and your comments are most welcome, we shall continue. To the Acton lads who continue to fight on, 7 games left and the graft your putting in will pay dividends I assure you. Keep asking our friends for assistance and pity the fool. A massive thanks to those that have helped us out so far this season, if you get to our end of season bash I will happily buy you beer. In a year that has seen a lot of teams step down due to numbers etc, the rugby community needs to do what it can to keep as much of this glorious game being played as possible. 373, if you wanted a reaction, this is mine. I feel sorry for you, whoever you are, from whatever club you hail, you don’t get it and IMHO you may play rugby, and I hope you continue, but you’re not a rugby player.
JayTee

Postby 373 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 pm

So absolutely ridiculous decisions? How about basing the club in a pub that wasn't owned by yourselves and then pouring in money into an investment that didn't even belong to the club. Surely the better decision would have been to work with another local sports club and share a facility? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but basing your club out of a tenanted pub is hardly the best idea. Or how about the huge arguments that led to the splits that created the 'North West Mercs' team?

And going into the RFU leagues was on of the most baffling moves I have ever seen by a club. Acton have had maybe one season in Div 4 South in the close to 10 years they've been active. A good chunk of that's been spent in Div 5. What on Earth possessed the club to think they had the ability to match first team clubs at a much higher level? Especially when the fixtures would be in the Midlands. It struck a chord as a club trying to run before it could walk.

If you could let me know what's made up there I'd be appreciative.

At the end of the day, the troubles at Acton are symptomatic of what's going on in rugby at a grassroots level. It's people 'playing' at running a rugby club and then using the 'ethos' of the game as a justification for their shortcomings. It's not upto any rugby club to help another one out. If a club can't functionally do the basics right, like actually recruit local players for their own team, be realistic in their own abilities and plan for the future then it needs to take a good hard look at itself.

Keep tying yourself up in sentiments, you can avoid responsibility much easier that way.

Postby mjhref » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:56 pm

I will not hide who i am. Just look on twitter and you will find me. To see a team let alone a club fold is saddening. I will assist Nomads as much as i can to move forward. Surely any credible person would want more rugby to be played by more people. Its a shame some want to down a club, many thanks to the many who have helped us over the years and we will continue to help back. This level of rugby is all about enjoyment for both sides, if you do not buy into that then go and play at a very high level if you have the ability, which by the remarks comes from a low level bitter rival.
mjhref

Postby mjhref » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Everyone is allowed their own opinions and many thanks for sharing. The past is the past, the future is the future, onwards and upwards, petty posts are not required but slightly amusing. I will help any club out if i can as long as it means we get more playing rugby. Thanks for your support.
mjhref

Postby MikeGC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 pm

373 wrote:Surely the better decision would have been to work with another local sports club and share a facility?

Sharing with other sports clubs rarely ends well.
Ask Westoe, Bradford and Bingley or locally Warrington RUFC
MikeGC

Postby Peter252 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 pm

I don't know the inner workings of Acton, so won't comment on the initial comments of 373 but the sourness behind them made my lips pucker. If there is no personal axe to grind by 373 then I am amazed that any true rugby person would be so obviously delighted at a clubs troubles.
And if their ambitions were too high for their abilities, so what, it's better to have tried and fail than never having tried at all.
Good luck for the future Acton.
Peter252

Postby JayTee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Many thanks for your kind words Peter252……I had a plan to reply to 373 with a few facts but I suspect, as you suggest, that there is a personal agenda there, facts would likely not colour or indeed alter his view so I have decided not to bother, as I said earlier let the haters hate. There is enough gossip based detail to show he doesn’t really know what he’s talking about. Anyone that thinks that Acton are the only club ever started in a pub and sees that as a problem needs to have a chat we him/her or themselves. Acton will continue, ‘nomadically’, this season and hopefully by the start of next season we will have somewhere to pitch our tent! Many thanks to the boys that stepped up and helped us out last weekend and to Congleton for coming down and enjoying the craic, I hope that’s not too sentimentally irresponsible…………
JayTee

Return to League Matters