Admin

North West Intermediate Rugby Union Leagues - Discussion

New scrum law

Anything to do with the leagues

New scrum law

Postby Sir » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:50 am

With the law on who puts in at the scrum after the previous scrum has wheeled being in place now for a couple of months. We have had a couple of situations when we were straight but the opposition had wheeled, if you were looking down from above imagine a L shape. The referee has had a reset scrum and whoever had put in previously put in again. In a situation like this would this be correct?
Sir

Re: New scrum law

Postby aboyle » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:06 am

The new interpretation is that if the scrum wheels then it should be reset with the same team retaining the put in. If a team is deliberately wheeling the scrum or not driving straight it should be a penalty. Referee training has emphasized looking for props at an angle or players feet going sideways and not forward, not always easy to spot while making sure everyone is staying bound and the backs are still onside.
aboyle

Postby forumadmin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:26 am

As someone who knows nowt about scrum lore I hesitate to add an opinion but, if, as the original poster says, the scrum has degenerated into an L shape when viewed from above, does this not mean that someone has broken their bind? Perhaps the team which is now NOT parallel to the touchline should be penalised for breaking their bind? No doubt someone will tell me I'm talking nonsense.
--
Barry A.
Forum Administrator.
"Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand." Baruch Spinoza.
God = √-1.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby Pete Keers » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi all,

The law on who gets the put in after a wheeled scrum may have changed, but the law on a deliberate wheel hasn't. I advise the teams at my pre-match brief that I will be looking for the deliberate wheel to ensure it isn't being used. If you are unsure what decision to give, check the alignment of the props shoulders on contact. If either props shoulders aren't square and look to be boring in on the hooker, that is where the wheel has come from.

It has to be said that this season I have penalised two props for boring and deliberate wheeling hasn't been an issue. I think the change of law is a good law if correctly applied. Ref's need to be stronger on the front row.

Cheers,

Peter.
Pete Keers

Postby forumadmin » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:52 am

I was at a match yesterday where every scrum seemed to take forever to actually get the ball put in. Contrast this with the time it takes in this match in 1979, North V All Blacks at Otley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLACRKq9ZuM

Addendum:
Just watched the Wales v South Africa game, 26th Nov. One of the scrums took 2 mins 35 secs.!!
--
Barry A.
Forum Administrator.
"Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand." Baruch Spinoza.
God = √-1.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Return to League Matters