Admin

North West Intermediate Rugby Union Leagues - Discussion

Points deductions

Anything to do with the leagues

Re: Points deductions

Postby madref100 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:09 am

Ok you've made your point, carry on regardless.
madref100

Postby forumadmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:11 pm

That is what the forum is for, to allow everyone to make their point so long as they abide by the rules of the forum. Basically everyone is entitled to have their say provided that they don't personally abuse anybody. In over 9 years of being forum administrator I can count on one hand the number of posts I've taken down, so the great majority stick to the issues and not the personalities.

I don't have any axe to grind, my main involvement in the running of the leagues is to advise on the formulation of fixtures and maintain the software used to help produce them. I'm not on the Committee and don't have any power or responsibility so I can't get any blame. :0))

Sometimes I play 'devil's advocate' with points that folk raise just to test their arguments, but mostly I just wait because someone will come along and put an opposite point of view.
--
Barry A.
Forum Administrator.
"Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand." Baruch Spinoza.
God = √-1.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby madref100 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes it's a thankless job and you have drawn the short straw, so thank you for being devils advocate but I still think change is needed even demanded to keep players from simply walking away from the game we love with a passion. What that change is God only knows but it's needed sooner rather than later.
madref100

Postby forumadmin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

There is an article on the front page of the website inviting views and suggestions regarding Rule 13 maybe you could send yours to one of the league officers? The contact details are under the 'Contacts' tab at the top of any page.

The direct link to the Rule 13 article is here:-

http://www.nowirul.org.uk/articles/1430.php

I see that Fred Swarbrick is the author of the article so maybe views and suggestions should be addressed to him.
--
Barry A.
Forum Administrator.
God = √-1.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby 373 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:33 am

There are merit leagues around the country without a rule 13 type catch. They have even higher levels of concedes and players drift away as they just aren't sure if they will have a game that weekend.

Sadly, it's a much needed 'evil' to have this kind of rule to weed out clubs that won't be able to provide consistent rugby. With pool rugby undergoing a resurgence I don't think it's a big of a problem as it was 2 or 3 seasons ago and dropping out of the leagues isn't the end (assuming you actually have players..)

I'd actually go further with Div 5 and split it into 8 leagues of 6 and have 'hyper local' fixtures. Play each other 4 times and not have to travel far at all. Would even give some spare weeks for pool games.

Postby forumadmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 am

Dwindling numbers of folk playing Rugby Union and players unwilling to travel seems to be a nationwide problem. See:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/worrying-state-welsh-rugby-right-12842580

Even in Wales where Rugby Union is supposed to be their National sport.

And in Australia:-
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2017/03/rugby-union-popularity-rates-plummeting-at-alarming-rates-in-australia.html
--
Barry A.
Forum Administrator.
God = √-1.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby forumadmin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 pm

373 wrote:With pool rugby undergoing a resurgence I don't think it's a big of a problem as it was 2 or 3 seasons ago and dropping out of the leagues isn't the end (assuming you actually have players..)

Unfortunately putting teams in the Pool on this website is not the most user friendly process I've ever seen. There is a 'sticky post' under the 'Website' section of the Forum explaining how to do it. You will need admin access to the website to be able to put teams in the Pool. There is usually one person from each club allowed access.

You can also email Martin Powell who will put the team in for you. See the notes on the 'Pool' tab on this website for his address. As a very last resort you could email me and I'll put the team in for you. Leave me a private message from your user control panel on this forum.
--
Barry A.
Forum Administrator.
God = √-1.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to League Matters