Admin

North West Intermediate Rugby Union Leagues - Discussion

Slightly cold hearted - time for Acton to go?

Anything to do with the leagues

Re: Slightly cold hearted - time for Acton to go?

Postby DaveH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:14 am

Certainly several clubs have used pubs as their base. I went to watch London Cornish a few years back with two friends who were Mounts Bay supporters. (I say "were" because Mounts Bay had folded by that stage.) A local pub was their clubhouse. The past-match atmosphere was good: better than at many clubhouses, in fact.

I'm sure some the committee of some clubs do make daft decisions, and can be rightly taken to task for that. However, I would wager every club has good, hard working people who pull their guts out to keep things going, in spite of the committee (or because of it). I don't know if 373 has spent much time trying to get players out on the pitch for the lowest team in the club (and in some clubs the 1st team is the lowest) but it's a hard graft. Over the years I occasionally had to borrow from other clubs. I can't think of them all off the top of my head but certainly Hoylake, Waterloo, Prenton, Ormskirk, Widnes, Birkenhead Park, Port Sunlight and Anselmiams. In return I have played for Wallasey, Prenton, Leigh, Sefton, Waterloo and The Smugglers (a Dutch team).

Rugby should always be more than just a game. Well done to those at Acton who are trying to keep it going.
DaveH

Postby Pompo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:32 pm

There seemed to be a spate of newly established clubs like Acton and Pendle who will always find it difficult. They get set up as offshoots of established clubs off the back of a falling out or a single issue that then gets forgotten about or the people driving it change (or fall out with the new club and move on again...), and when things go against them, they don't have 40 or 50 or more years of past members and history to fall back on and help out, and many of the new clubs players have a previous club to all go back to en masse with their mates (which is what seems to have happened with Acton).

I've played against Acton a bunch of times and they are good lads and I hope they keep going, but it's not like that neck of the woods isn't well served by rugby clubs already, and you can't always blame lads who just want to go and play a game of rugby somewhere with changing rooms and a bar.
Pompo

Postby Lifeintheolddog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Interesting to see a local ref not attached ro the nomads appealing for players to play for the nomads this Saturday on facebook
Lifeintheolddog

Postby 373 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:23 am

The emperor's new clothes didn't fit too well then I take. Managing to lose 30 players in a year is a talent. Let's hope other clubs take note.

Postby Peter252 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:26 pm

"Let's hope other clubs take note" and do what? Being the Secretary of a club established since 1881 that has suffered the loss of teams over recent years I just find it appalling that anyone could take satisfaction from the demise of a club. Rugby in the NW of England is not in an healthy enough state for any diminishing of numbers to be a matter of rejoicing, in fact it should be the opposite.
Peter252

Re: Slightly cold hearted - time for Acton to go? I

Postby 373 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Take note and not think they are far bigger than they think. Take note and look at getting their own club in order. Take note and recruit locally.

No club has the right to exist. Take note of that. People need to be sensible and act accordingly.

Previous

Return to League Matters