Admin

North West Intermediate Rugby Union Leagues - Discussion

A tackled player

Mainly for referees to discuss Refereeing topics. NOT for criticising Referees!

A tackled player

Postby Sir » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:35 am

At my last match a player was tackled, they released the ball got to their feet then picked the ball up. All of this was done within a blink of an eye. I penalised them as I thought they had to leave the tackle area. Looking at the law below, I am unsure whether I was correct or wrong, what do you guys think?

(b)
A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.
Sanction: Penalty kick
Sir

Re: A tackled player

Postby not_the_sharpest » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 pm

The law is pretty clear in that the tackled player has to either:
1 get up
OR
2 move away
once he has released or played the ball.

However the law also says:
"Tackled players must ../.. ensure they do not lie on, over or near the ball to prevent opposition players from gaining possession of it"

I read this as meaning that, if there is no contest (ie no defender trying to get hands on the ball) then the player is free to get to their feet and regain possession of the ball immediately.
IF there is a defender trying to get the ball, the tackled player must not release the ball underneath his own body and then get up over the ball as they are then effectively lying on it (until they gain their feet) to prevent an opposition player from gaining possession for the purpose of the law. They can place it to one side and then get to their feet to play it.

I don't believe there is a need for the tackled player to move out of the tackle area before getting to their feet, just to make the ball available - provided the action (of getting to their feet) is immediate and not done simply to cause an obstruction.
not_the_sharpest

Return to Referee Discussion