Admin

North West Intermediate Rugby Union Leagues - Discussion

New Referee Forum

Mainly for referees to discuss Refereeing topics. NOT for criticising Referees!

Re: New Referee Forum

Postby hopper3 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Can a referee award a penalty against a spectator or a player that has left the field of play?
I know he can ask them to leave the pitchside area at a break in play but can he stop play and award a penalty to the opposition?
====================================================================================
Comment from Forumadmin.
I think that it may have been better to have started a new thread with a title relevant to your question rather than replying to my first article.

Maybe a title of "Penalties for Players off the Pitch" or "Penalties off the pitch" then folk who are interested can find it easily. No matter, I suppose folk will still find it if they are interested.. :o))
====================================================================================
hopper3

Postby johntully » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:05 am

The aspect relating to players who are replacements or substituted players is covered by the laws.
Law 10 m)
Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the
spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.
Sanction: Penalty kick
Law 1 definitions
The Playing Enclosure is the playing area and a space around it, not less than 5
metres where practicable, which is known as the perimeter area.
Law 3.4 Header
PLAYERS NOMINATED AS SUBSTITUTES

This is read to mean that substitues are players and liable to penalty.
For spectators I know of no definition.
johntully

Postby Pete Keers » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi there,

I don't believe I could issue a penalty against a spectator. You would be able to remove the person from the playing area or refuse to continue. That way the club involved (or the home team) then becomes responsible for the issue and can be dealt with by the Lancashire disciplinary system.

If a player who is a substitute, or has been substituted gives cause to a potential penalty, I would deal with the captain of the team concerned. In my pre-match brief I make it clear I would look for support from the captains in terms of player discipline. I would, penalise the captain if necessary (including the use of cards). I could still issue a red card to the substituted player as an ultimate sanction. I'm sure a chat with the captain would usually suffice.

Cheers,

PK.
Pete Keers

Postby Controversial » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:50 pm

PK
I Know its a while since you posted this but ive only just seen it.
How could you penilise the captain including the use of cards? Does that mean you would just make laws up and punish a player who has done nothing wrong? I cant find anything in the law book that says such a thing, can you?
Controversial

Postby Peter Keers » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:42 am

Hi Controversial,

I have only just seen your post.

Whilst it isn't spelt out in the law book, the fact is that a referee can go to the captain of a team and ask him to exert control of all aspects of his team - including spectators, substitutes and players on the field. If no control is created the referee is absolutely entitled to do what ever he deems necessary to ensure discipline remains.

I am implicitly entitled to suggest to a captain that he will be dismissed should a breakdown in discipline occur. The precedent is set in the committal of a 'professional foul' or 'persistent infringement offence'; where the offending player can't be identified, the referee is entitled to dismiss the captain following a general warning being issued.

If in doubt, go to the captain. If this fails, take a view. There is no need to 'make any new laws up', the powers vested in the ref by the existing laws allow this to be possible. 'The referee is the sole arbiter of law and time'.

If any referee or administrator thinks this is incorrect, please post to submit alternative viewpoints.

I hope this clears up where I am on this. Also, I believe most, if not all referees will agree with this.

Cheers,

PK
Peter Keers

Postby Controversial » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm

PK
I think this is the law your talking about and again it doesn't say anything about use of cards to the captain after repeated infringements.
Click the link at the bottom for more information.
I do agree that a chat with the captain is the right course of action and usually does the trick but then to punish a captain after he has tried to help you is just clearly ''making up laws''
That's just my humble opinion from the view point of a Referee, player and captain!

10.3 Repeated infringements

(a)

Repeatedly offending. A player must not repeatedly infringe any Law. Repeated infringement is a matter of fact. The question of whether or not the player intended to infringe is irrelevant.

A player penalised for repeated infringements must be cautioned and temporarily suspended.

(b)

Repeated infringements by the team. When different players of the same team repeatedly commit the same offence, the referee must decide whether or not this amounts to repeated infringement. If it does, the referee gives a general warning to the team and if they then repeat the offence, the referee cautions and temporarily suspends the guilty player(s). If a player of that same team then repeats the offence the referee sends off the guilty player(s).

A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored.

(c)

Repeated infringements: standard applied by referee. When the referee decides how many offences constitute repeated infringement, the referee must always apply a strict standard in representative and senior matches. When a player offends three times the referee must caution that player.

The referee may relax this standard in junior or minor matches, where infringements may be the result of poor knowledge of the Laws or lack of skill.

http://laws.worldrugby.org/index.php?law=10
Controversial

Return to Referee Discussion