Admin

Minutes for Oct 10th 2013


 NORTHWEST INTERMEDIATE RUGBY UNION LEAGUES 

Minutes of meeting held at Tyldesley Rugby Club on Thursday, October 10th 2013

Those attending:-    Fred. Swarbrick,  Reg. Robinson   John Powell,   Ian Cosens,   Andy Thompson,   Greg. King,  Jon. Daldry.

Apologies received:-   Peter Rhodes,   Craig Hine,   Howard Hughes,   John Adams.

Not present:-   Alan Johnson,   Tommy. Hughes.

Meeting opened 19.30

MATTERS ARISING            None

FINANCE                              John Powell reported a healthy balance in the Leagues funds plus £5789.49 in the Benevolent Fund which now had its own separate bank account.

The special £750 contribution to the Benevolent Fund had been received from Barclays as had the long outstanding invoice from Sale Sharks.

De La Salle RUFC had settled their contribution to last seasons dinner and all fees for the present season were received on time.

Sponsorship monies from the RFU and from Bateman BMW were received with further sponsorship monies from Raging Bull and individual league sponsors expected shortly.

SPONSORSHIP                     Fred. Swarbrick reported that he had received a message from John Adams who deeply regretted that he was unable to continue as Sponsorship Secretary for business and personal reasons. The Committee is therefore seeking a replacement for John particularly as our Cup Competitions have no current sponsor. Ian Cosens volunteered to try and find this sponsor in the short term. Fred also stated that he intended to speak to Alan Marsland reminding him that he had volunteered to supply a trophy to be presented to the winners of Premiership Conference “B”.

WEB SITES                            It was finally decided to continue with the present NOWIRUL web site as the one supplied by PITCHERO is too difficult to update, is frequently altered and is now too much dominated by adverts unrelated to our business. Clubs and other volunteers are welcome to update their own leagues and other information as they wish.

DISCIPLINE                            A letter has been received by Reg Robinson regarding discipline at certain clubs with both players and supporters behaving badly. The Birchfield club had requested that the league supply association referees for their second team matches but as these were currently supplied by the Liverpool society it was decided that this should continue for this season. The Committee may re-consider this for the 2014/2015 season. Reg will write to the clubs involved with his explanation.

CUP FINALS                           The cup finals will follow the same format as last season and will take place on May 3rd 2014. Interested clubs are invited to submit bids to host with applications forms available from Reg Robinson.

DINNER                                 As the last 2 dinners have been at Bowdon this seasons dinner will be at Preston Grasshoppers on May 9th 2014. Further arrangements to be announced in due course.

A.O.B.                                   Reg Robinson announced that he did not intend to seek re-election as secretary for the 2014/2015 season and beyond.

                                              Fred Swarbrick had identified an individual who he believed would be willing to join the Committee and and carry out at least some of his duties. It was felt that Reg did so much that it would take more than one person to replace him. John Powell declared himself available to take part of this job so it was decided to create a new position of “Fixture Secretary” to allow all duties to be covered. Meetings will be held with Reg, John and the new person to decide the best way to apportion duties.

                                             Ian Cosens brought to the attention of the committee an incident where a visiting player at Didsbury TocH suffered injury when colliding with a brick manhole just off the pitch during a tackle. TocH were deeply concerned about the incident and have taken the pitch out of use until the problem is rectified. The player is believed to have made a full recovery and no further action is envisaged.

                                             Jon Daldry brought to the attention of the Committee a problem with the Holmes Chapel club. As this club is about to lose its pitch the club has lost several players including 11 of its first team. They have been forced to resign from the RFU leagues and understand that this would normally result in expulsion of their second team from NOWIRUL. This would, however, kill the club so in the interests of the game the committee voted to allow Holmes Chapel to remain in our leagues as a one team club. They have also been allowed to recruit a number of players from a neighbouring club who are currently not being selected to assist in their survival.

                                             Andy Thompson brought up a problem where the North Lancs, 12 team leagues do not match fixtures with our 14 team leagues so second teams are surprisingly strong when first teams have no game. Since the change in our rules there is little the committee can do about this but Fred Swarbrick agreed to write to the clubs concerned reminding them of the “Spirit of Rugby”

                                             John Powell warned the committee that 2 new items will have to be added to our constitution due to our new relationship with Barclays Bank. The wording will be agreed at a later date and put to the next AGM.

                                             Howard Hughes sent a note voicing concern that some players who appear on the banned list on our web site appear to be playing in the belief that their ban has expired. It appears that the web information is out of date and Reg Robinson will endeavour to have records brought up to date.

 

Meeting closed,   21.30                                   

 

 

Sponsors